Monday, June 4, 2012

Trying Study Methods


Let me say from experience that the best way to study is whatever works best for you. I tried molding my study habits to others standards and suggestions because that was "what worked for them" and this did not bode well for my grades. When you find a study habit that works for you, stick with it.

For example, I don't have the longest attention span, but when I get in my zone I am really focused. I tried doing the 9am to 9pm starbucks days, I tried making myself sit in the library, study between classes, listen to podcasts, etc but all I was doing was wasting countless hours of effort and time in hopes that it would magically pay off because it had worked for other people.

Eventually I figured out that I cannot study for more than an hour at a time and I like rewards. So I started timing myself and giving myself an x on a sticky note every time I did.  1 X = 15 minutes. It was like the little gold starts they gave you for behaving in grade school. If I built up to 4 X's I would get a short break, around 10 minutes or so. It may seem like a lot in the long run, but for me that was what worked. I'm actually doing it right now, or else I probably wouldn't have gotten around to writing this for some time.

As long as I stick with this, I'm focused. When I start to stray from it I start noticing a lot of wasted time.

So my advice is that if you have something that works for you, stick with it. Not every study method works for everyone, you can only take it into stride and try it and if it doesn't work then try another. 

Cheers,

N. Riazi

No comments:

Post a Comment