Friday, August 31, 2012

Phillips versus Flathead

Throughout this blog, I've mentioned my feelings of inadequacy toward engineering when I entered college. I didn't know how an engine worked, I couldn't set up a circuit bread board for the life of me, and I barely knew the difference between a Phillips and flathead screwdriver.

I have a secret for you....Most people are in the same boat. Most college freshman might have some calculus or a little bit of physics. However, there are people who will show off, saying "Oh the fluid flow of blah-blah-blah." Or will basically recite what they've heard their parents say from political discussions of engine efficiency...but remember children, political propaganda isn't always correct with its facts.

So as a result, I will continue this blog showing you what some common tools are. I assume you don't know, and you shouldn't be embarrassed asking.

The Phillips Screwdriver
See how the tip of the screwdriver is a cross? Yep...that's pretty much all you need to know.

The Flathead Screwdriver
See how the tip is...well...flat?  As a way of remembering the difference between a flathead and Phillips, I usually think, "Flathead...tip is flat...and Philips is the other one." Fairly easy.

And now for shoes and giggles:

The Allen Wrench (or Hex Key)
These little pieces of metal come in all sorts of shapes and sizes.  They are also one of the most important pieces of hardware when constructing Ikea furniture...when you move out of the dorms, you'll know what I'm talking about.  Just make sure you remember how torque works, make sure to hold the long end of the Allen wrench when using it (see my Testing Serena's Strength or Why Engineering is for Men blog posts for an intro to Torque).

That's my 2 cents for the day. Feel free to request or show other tools that are your favorites. For moving out of my apartment this last week, all of the tools are used are included above...plus a scissor (the most important tool of any college student), but I'll refrain from lecturing about the importance of a scissor.

-Serena

*BTW, the links in this blog post link to other blogs that show how to use tools (other than the ones shown above). They actually look very interesting! Feel free to check them out!

No comments:

Post a Comment