Sunday, April 1, 2012

"Pursuit of Happyness"

As I've said before, I've been reading "The Happiness Project". And throughout Spring break, I've had a a sense of "soul searching."
  • What do I want to do with my life? 
  • What jobs will make me happy? 
  • What are my interests (outside of school)? 
  • How do I want to make an impact on society? 
I've used a few sources...some of which my mentor suggested to me...many years ago :-) 
  1. Research Journal Abstracts. "It's the advantage of going to a big school (like UC Davis)" It's likely that the university subscribes to most journals out there...and you can peruse for a lifetime. (If you need help with the UC Davis's library's VPN, let me know.)
  2. TED. TED stands for "Technology, Education, Design" and some of the most influential people in the world try to advocate you through short videos.  They talk about all sorts of topics (Technology especially), and could be source of inspiration for you to jumpstart your career.
  3. Professor Richard Feynman. He was a Nobel Laureate for his work in quantum physics.  He even worked at Los Alamos and was one of the only people to see the White Sands nuclear test in the 1940s. A few weeks back, I read "Surely you're joking, Mr. Feynman!" and I was hooked on finding what makes me happy (like he did). In this book, he mentions that his Nobel Prize was a derivative of throwing plates in the cafeteria. Don't believe me? Read it.
  4. ScienceNOW. Don't forget that you can read full articles using your UC Davis Connection from Off-campus.  However, ScienceNOW give news that is easier to read (similar to a blog style).  I spent a couple hours on it reading about the brain and neuron disorders...
This is definitely NOT an exhaustive list.  What sources do you search for fun?

-Serena

No comments:

Post a Comment