Wednesday, February 8, 2012

The Importance of Writing


*Image provide from educationcreations.com

"Why do I need to take this writing class!? I'm an engineer! I don't need to write!"  WRONG!


Okay, I'll admit, I've said this too. But you shouldn't! Writing is such a wonderful skill. Writing is the ability to express your thoughts and ideas on paper!

Don't be surprised, but your engineering job in industry will probably consist about 80% of writing (emails, memos, technical writeups, recommendations, the list goes on and on). The clearer you can explain yourself, people are more likely to recommend you for higher positions.  However, if you boss has to change numerous grammatical errors in your work or rework your memo to make sense, she might as well do it herself. Somebody isn't getting a promotion anytime soon (because it appears they don't care!)....


Moral of the story: Start to truly work on your writing. Start a blog (my writing's already better), write in a diary, fill out scholarship applications, pay attention to your lab reports (do they make sense?).  Trust me, it'll be critical later. 

No comments:

Post a Comment