Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Don't give up

   I graduated high school just as this current day recession started.  This infamous year of 2008 left me jobless, but due to my planning and hard work in high school, I was able to pursue an undergraduate education.  The start of my freshman year was tough.  I left sunny Southern California while looking as dismal prospects of finding a job once I graduated.  Oftne people would ask me, "Why engineering? It's so hhhaarrrdd. Just take the easy route and go for political science."  I would often comment it with "Well what do you want to do after you graduate?"
   "Become a lawyer... They make lots of money."  [Okay sidenote.  Lawyears make a lot of money, but they work hard too.  I've heard it's twice the salary for double the work.  $80,000 for 80 hrs per week.  Plus, there's a ton of reading legal jargon.  Personally, I think it's very difficult to work though.  Being a lawyer is NOT for the weary.]
   My first two year were particularily touch because I would time and time again that half (that's right..50%) of the industry is retiring in the next 5-10 years.  Aside from politics, they need someone to fill these roles.  So employers said they were looking, but I still didn't get an internship those summers....

Always look ahead.  Trust the people who tell you of great futures.  

No comments:

Post a Comment